Tuesday, February 08, 2005

death of a salesman


We had a door-to-door windows salesman come a-knocking Sunday evening, now, we’ve been thinking about having a couple of new windows at the back of the house for a while now, so, very much to his complete and utter surprise, we invited him in. An hour and a half later, we pushed him, kicking and screaming from the house, having NOT secured a sale from us.
Now, I know these fellahs have a bit of a hard time selling windows, it cannae be easy for them, I know that, but these people would get far more sales, I reckon, if they treated people with a bit of common sense and respect. First off, we had the standard sales pitch, all about the company and the products, to soften us up, let us know we’d be buying a sound investment, a quality product etc Then we had to answer all these silly questions about, local schools, tobacconists, nearest post boxes and telephone booths to access, he tells us, our suitability for possible inclusion for promotional and advertising opportunities, but it’s not good news, no, he says we’d score about a “C” mebe, “C+” based on what we’ve told him…but he’ll just check all this with his manager, so out comes the mobile and he’s talking his manager into a higher grading for us…result!!…we’re now a “B+”…fan-flaming-tastic!….but, Jesus, by now we’re flagging and ask him for the tenth time, to just give us a quote!…to cut a boring Sunday evening story short…he presents us with, after careful calculator tapping, a quote for £5,000!…(cough)…(splutter)…it’s then we ask him to leave, and despite bringing the cost down to £3,500 IF we signed there and then, we still kick his erse outya the house.
Look mate, we’re shopping around, we’re gonna get a number of quotes THEN choose but no way are we signing anything today, Christ, I know I’ve got a head of grey hair and he musta thought, Bingo! A couple of old wrinklies, but he mis-judged me, mis-judged me badly

Right, off to the dentist for my resoration work...wait a minute...I know what that means now...No!!....noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

No comments: