No Shows
Friday afternoon, I'm in the shower at the gym, shower gel in one hand, razor in the other, shaving oil between my legs, or was that a razor between my legs?...(or was it a canoe?)...anyway, precarious situation to find myself in, trying to juggle everything because the cheap nasty showers have no shelves but I'm thinking, it's worth it, smell nice for the ladeez, for later like.
Then, all squeaky clean, I walk to Camden and get on the tube to Moorgate, boy! am I looking forward to my night out, seeing all me mates I haven't seen for, what, 3 months?...so I'm the first into the boozah and I'm anticipating the nights conversations, mountain walks, weekend breaks, strippahs and whores, wives and lovers, work and play...and I'm queuing up in my head some funnies, remarks, asides, put downs, cheeky comments...you see, I'm looking forward to seeing me so-called mates and I wanna make a good impression see...so they'll love me more...
It starts like it always does, with bezza mate sneaking into the pub and heading straight for the bar, without looking for me and asking me what I want to drink, it's ok, I'm used to it now, so I cut him off and give him my order before he can attract the attention of the barman.
We sit down and begin talking, but what's this?...he has a call on his mobile, Uh-huh it's so-called mate, what's that, you can't make it tonight?...you're wife has a cold?...eh?...where are you?...at home?...oh, but like, didn't you arrange this evening?...is she on deaths door?...ok...ok...you can't come...uh-huh...another time, say in 3 months...ok.bye. Charming, blown out. still...the others will come..the others will come...
We sit down and begin talking, but what's this?...he has a call on his mobile, Uh-huh it's so-called mate, what's that, you can't make it tonight?...you're wife has a cold?...eh?...where are you?...at home?...oh, but like, didn't you arrange this evening?...is she on deaths door?...ok...ok...you can't come...uh-huh...another time, say in 3 months...ok.bye. Charming, blown out. still...the others will come..the others will come...
4 hours later, I'm pissed and angry...pissed, angry and tired. and pissed. Lot of no shows, at least so-called mate had the decency to call and let us know like, the others, just were too ignorant I suppose. ah well...


7 comments:
it was busy in the boozah, couldn't see you sitting in the corner, thought best bet get meself a beer then wander round to find you....
It's a bummer when you get blown out by you're mates, but you lived to tell the tale, now they all feel guilty.
some might...some might txt you the day after and beg you to come out for a drink...other's just won't botha, pretend like it never happened. move on with their lives...but not me, i remember, i can't forget
Oh, I guess I should feel sad for you... (giggle)
So are you going to arrange another 'night out' to make up for this recent dismal failure?
I didn't arrange this night out, I just turned up. Not for me to arrange anything, besides, I'm fed up with the rejection...besides, wasn't a failure, was a good night out, just with a different set of people, made a nice change.
Well, Steve, just as well you didn't arrange it. You know what happenned last time you arranged one of these. You, Neeek (as he was known then) and the Moff. I stayed for one, but hey, had a better offer. Remember?
Post a Comment